Thursday 26 August 2010

Deutschland, ich liebe dich!

Been studying German a fair bit lately. I really love Europe and European language and culture but German is just... I dunno, just seems to be such a wonderful culutre and the language is very beautiful I think. I was actually thinking that if, for whatever reason, I can't pursue a degree in history, it'd be really cool to do a German degree! What could be better than learning about my favourite language and culture! I know it seems strange to say so having never been there (indeed, having never actually been abroad!) but I feel an affinity with Germany very deeply!
I'd actually love so much to end up emigrating to Germany, especially Berlin. There's so much to love about that city: The history, the art, the great melting pot of cultutres, the lingering dfferences between East and West. Also, Berlin seems to be a centre for a modern, liberal zeitgeist. The Paris of central Europe.
The best part is, emigrating to Germany doesn't seem too expensive! A decent sized flat in Berlin only costs about £25,000 to BUY! That's mental!
I really do wish people would stop attatching all these cartoonish stereotypes to Germany: a nation of sausage-eating, beer-drinkng Nazis. From what little I have learned of German culure, it is a vibrant, modern, wonderrful one, easily capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with any other country. Give Germany a chance and you may fall in love with it just as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment